I was born to young parents. My dad was in the United States Air Force for all of three days after my birth; he went on to be a civilian air traffic controller for 35 years and recently retired complete after instructing new controllers for several years. My mom is an accomplished artist who has found a name in the commercial and fine art arenas in addition to running a successful children’s art instruction studio for more than a decade. I have one brother who is nearly two years younger than me. I grew up in a small community that has grown by leaps and bounds over the past 20 years.
I have always loved theatre and music and participated in both throughout high school. I believe that theatre allowed me to come out of my shell and discover my own strengths. I was blessed with an incredible teacher as well as some amazing roles and behind the scenes positions.
In addition to theatre I was an active member of the speech and debate team. Again, I was blessed to learn from another amazing teacher who has taken many students to Nationals over the years. I competed in both debate and dramatic events, belonging to the National Forensics League. I also participated in choirs and various vocal music groups during high school and eventually college. I was a member of the National Honor Society throughout school and I graduated high school in the top three percent of my class academically.
While I headed away to college at age 18, on an academic scholarship, I was back home shortly after I turned 21 with little to show for three years of tuition payments, much to the dismay of my parents. Poor organizational skills, non-existent study skills (my previous schooling had come too easily), and depression led me to dropping out after failing numerous courses. After working as an administrative assistant in the corporate world for several years I moved back to my hometown 2000 shortly before I got married. My husband and I grew up within 20 minutes of each other but when we met we lived four hours apart. We have been together for 15 years, married for 13 years and have three beautiful children.
Shortly before I got married in 2000 I took a job as an assistant at the before and after school child care at one of the schools in my home school district. I was immediately taken with the job and within a few months was given the opportunity to become a site director. I kept that position for two years. Designing lesson plans, creating clubs, planning field trips and working with children each day kept me happy and motivated. Unfortunately the schedule was tough as the hours were split between the early morning and late afternoon. I barely saw my husband and we were talking about starting a family.
I applied for a job within the school district as a special education paraprofessional and was hired to work one on one with a kindergartener who had Angelman Syndrome. I took joy in watching every small gain he made during that year. Together we worked toward his use of communication boards and we worked hard at his vocalization and verbalization as well. He learned so much that year! He even spoke several words before the year was out. At the end of the year the school district and his family decided that he would benefit more in a highly specialized school for developmentally disabled students. I applied for another special education paraprofessional position open within the district. I was hired to be a classroom paraprofessional in a school for students with severe emotional disturbances/behavior disorders. It only took me a few weeks to realize that I was finally where I belonged. The school catered to students K-12 and I was working in a high school classroom. I began to think about going back to college and getting my degree in special education.
Life had different plans for me at that moment however. After four years of trying to start a family and two years of fertility treatments we were finally pregnant...with twins! I continued with my amazing job until I was put on bed rest during my pregnancy. At that time we made a family decision that raising our son and daughter would be my first priority for several years. Four years after the twins were born we were surprised with an unassisted pregnancy and blessed with another beautiful son.
There is nothing in this life that has made me want to be an educator more than being a parent. Watching my children learn and grow has changed me. Raising my children has given me an incredible love for learning and the processes behind how we learn. My older two children are now in 3rd grade and just turned nine, my youngest is in preschool and just turned five. I must be doing something right because all of my kids love books and love to read. My older son (one of the twins) began showing an interest in letters when he was only fifteen months old and was reading at two and a half years old. My daughter (the other twin) was not interested in reading at all until preschool but she was already creating lovely drawings before then. The twins turn 9 next week and are on books five and six of the Harry Potter series. My youngest has been recognizing words for a year or so but really started reading about six months ago and is reading somewhere around a second grade level already, at least he can read the K-3rd grade Dolch sight words with just a little help on the third grade words. Now and then I have to make him slow down though, today he read the word "place" instead of "palace" but when I backed him up he got it right off.
As I understand better how young minds learn and mature I am excited to bring my love of drama and music into the classroom. I believe that children benefit from active participation in learning and that while desk work has significant value in the classroom interactive learning will implant itself more meaningfully within a child's mind allowing for more success than rote memorization.
I returned to college two and a half years ago and have dedicated myself to doing the best work I possibly can in each and every class. Juggling school, family, and an online writing job I finished my associates taking classes part time. I transferred back to UCM in August (I began my original college quest here at CMSU) I will earn my Bachelor’s degree in elementary education next and plan to pursue a Master’s degree in special education as I gain work experience. Since returning to school I have found a love for knowledge that I was lacking when I was 18. I was also diagnosed with ADHD-primarily inattentive a few years ago and have gained new organization skills and study skills that have helped me a lot since returning to school. General education classes such as political science and geology have real meaning to my life now and I embrace the knowledge I gain through these courses. My education department classes fuel me though; they excite me. As I juggle the responsibilities of raising my children, working, and completing my education I remember that when I have met my goals I will have the privilege of educating young minds. I hope to be the kind of teacher who is innovative, engaging and effective and I will work endlessly to make it happen.

0 comments:
Post a Comment